Existing RUBI Users - Order Online. Call (909) 436-4220 to sign up
  • A Guy doing paperworks

License and Permit Checklist for New Trucking Companies

Trucking is a heavily regulated industry, and Reliable Permit Solutions, LLC exists to help trucking companies navigate through those regulations successfully. This blog will walk you through all the steps necessary to operate legally as an interstate trucking company:

1. Get a Commercial Driver’s License

To operate heavy trucks, the drivers at your company need valid commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs). The CDL process includes an extensive background check, CDL training, a written permit exam, and a driving test. You must be at least 18 years old to get a CDL, and you must be at least 21 to drive a truck from state to state.

2. Get Your Federal DOT and Motor Carrier Authority Numbers

The U.S. DOT number and the motor carrier (MC) number are necessary to haul cargo in the United States. To get them both, you must complete the Motor Carrier Identification Report (MCS-150) and Safety Certification Application.

3. Get Your Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

To verify active insurance coverage, you’ll need your UCR. To register you’ll need your company’s USDOT and MC numbers.

4. Obtain an International Registration Plan (IRP) Tag

To allow your truck to operate in all states, as well as most Canadian provinces you’ll need an IRP license plate issued by your company’s home state. An annual renewal fee is required.

5. Get an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Decal

The IFTA agreement allows your company to have a single fuel license and requires you to file quarterly fuel use tax returns with the state in which you are based.

6. File a BOC-3 Form

To obtain interstate operating authority, you’ll need to register an up-to-date BOC-3 form with the FMCSA. This form designates a person in each state where your company operates to act as a legal “process agent.”

7. Get A Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC)

If you need to haul military, government, international or intermodal loads, you will need a SCAC code. The SCAC is a controlled code used to identify different transportation companies.

That’s everything you’ll need to open a trucking company of your own. Of course, the next step is to get the permits required for your first trip! Call Reliable Permit Solutions, LLC at 888-949-4220 for all your permitting needs.

2022-07-19T03:01:52+00:00June 20th, 2022|Blogs|