Existing RUBI Users - Order Online. Call (909) 436-4220 to sign up
  • Secure IFTA Permit

Securing an IFTA Permit: What You Need to Know

Being in the commercial trucking business means you will be going through many trucking permits, especially if you’re traveling interstate. One of these is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), which is one of those trucking permits that help simplify fuel tax reporting for commercial trucks.

Are you qualified for an IFTA permit?

Before getting an IFTA permit, you need to determine if you’re even qualified for one. As a general rule, a commercial vehicle is considered IFTA qualified if it’s designed and used for interstate transportation. It’s also regarded as qualified if it has three or more axles regardless of weight, or two axles and a registered Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) exceeding 26,000 pounds or if used in combination with a trailer. If you meet these requirements, you will need to apply for an IFTA trucking permit to travel interstate.

How do you secure an IFTA permit?

Going through the process of securing trucking permits can get quite daunting, especially if it’s your first time doing it. This is why it’s best to seek the help of professionals in getting IFTA permits, but it’s also essential to understand the process. For starters, you will need to fill out an IFTA application form and submit it in person or by mail to the Bureau of Commercial Vehicle and Driver Services. Make sure that you filled out all the details correctly since any missing information will cause delays to the application.

Each set of decals will cost $4, and you’ll need one set for every qualified truck. Once your application is approved, your credentials will be mailed to you within 24 hours, and you can expect to receive them within 7-14 business days. But if you take the application in person, you may get same-day decals if you complete all the details.

How do you apply for a temporary fuel use permit?

Now, if you’re a carrier outside your registered state, but you’re an IFTA-qualified vehicle that will travel within or through a state, you will need to apply for a Temporary Fuel use permit to operate in that state. You need to secure this permit before entering the state, and the decals must remain with you while you’re operating within that state.

These temporary fuel use permit costs $45 each and will be valid for ten days. You can also work with a company that handles trucking permits to take care of your application so that you can enter the state legally. It might be easier for you to get assistance from permit companies if you have no prior experience with these applications.

The same rule applies to all states. If you travel to a state that you are not registered in, you need to secure temporary fuel use permits for every jurisdiction you travel to. This is why it’s better to work with trucking permit specialists to ensure that you have all the necessary trucking permits to travel and operate legally wherever you are in the country.

If you need more information or you want us to help you with your future IFTA permit, make sure to contact Reliable Permit Solutions, LLC today!

2022-11-25T18:32:24+00:00November 24th, 2022|Blogs, Permits|